In the summer of 2013, SVPA conducted a paralegal salary survey. Summary results are below and can be downloaded by clicking here.
Summary 2013 Paralegal Salary Survey Results
- Of respondents, 71.59% were SVPA members
- 82 respondents were female, 7 were male
- The majority of respondents held either an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
- Only 12 respondents had passed a voluntary certification exam
- 41.57% of respondents were notaries; 58.43% were not
- The most common job titles were: corporate paralegal, paralegal, and senior paralegal
- 65.17% of respondents worked at law firms; 22.47% worked for a government entity
- 74.16% of respondents work 31-40 hours per week
- Although respondents worked in many practice areas, the most common one was litigation, with 48.86% of respondents
- A majority of the respondents, 59.09%, did not have a specific number of hours per year they were expected to bill
- Among salaried respondents, annual salaries ranged from $23,000 to $110,000, with the average being $65,534
- Among respondents paid by the hour, hourly pay rates ranged from $14.00 to $42.00, with the average being $27.44
- The average annual compensation among all respondents was $61,636.53 per year or $29.52 per hour
- 49 respondents received bonuses
- The most commonly provided benefits were 401(k) plans, continuing education, medical insurance, and dental insurance. All of these benefits were provided to 80% or more of respondents.
- Other common benefits included vision insurance, paid parking, disability insurance, professional dues, and in-house training. These benefits were provided to between 60% – 79% of respondents.
Survey participants received a complimentary copy of the full report and results. Copies of the full report are also available for purchase for $5.00. To purchase a copy, submit your payment below. The results will be sent via email to the address indicated in your payment information.