Looking for a Paralegal or legal support staff? To post a job listing with SVPA, click here.
Bilingual Paralegal (English/Spanish)
The Sacramento County Public Law Library is seeking a Bilingual Paralegal (English/Spanish) to become a full-time member of the Law Library’s Administration Team. To find more information about the library’s programs and services visit www.saclaw.org.
Purpose of Position
Paralegal assists self-represented litigants with general civil legal matters including assisting in the completion of legal forms, answering the public’s procedural questions regarding civil legal matters and providing education to the public about their rights and responsibilities under the law.
This position is on the Administration Team. The Director is the team leader and supervisor.
The primary responsibilities of the Paralegal are Administrative and clerical. Must speak and write fluent Spanish.
• Assists clients of the Civil Self Help Center with the completion of Judicial Council forms and other legal documents.
• Provides clients with procedural and general legal information regarding civil legal matters.
• Assists with the determination of the type of legal assistance and information that each client will receive at the Self Help Center.
• Assists with the development of self-help materials and translation of existing materials into Spanish.
• Provides self-help legal materials and informational brochures/handouts/packets to clients of the Self Help Center.
• Advises clients of the Civil Self Help Center to appropriate agencies.
• Assists the Law Library staff with Civil Self Help Center “triage” screening clients and helping them with completing initial intake forms.
• Assists Law Library staff in scheduling appointments.
• Assists with the development of workshops that assist/educate clients on various legal matters in both English and Spanish.
• Conducts workshops on legal information for clients of the Self Help Center.
• Maintains records and statistics concerning the Civil Self Help Center.
• Keeps the Director informed of any issues that might arise affecting the efficiency and effectiveness of the Self Help Center and the quality of services provided to the Self Help Center’s clients.
• Assists in maintaining the office equipment.
• Utilizes word processing and other applications, including Excel and Essential Forms.
• Assists with stocking and ordering office supplies.
• Prepares minutes and reports.
• Requests library facility and equipment maintenance service calls when needed.
• Develops and maintains Self Help Center procedures.
• Updates, trains, and cross-trains appropriate staff on changes in operations.
• Performs additional duties essential to the achievement of effective operations.
• Participates in professional associations and attends institutes, workshops, classes, training and meetings particularly those that will build knowledge of and competency with respect to legal resources.
• Makes recommendations to Director of resources that may benefit in the development of the CSHC for SCPLL.
• Remains up-to-date with a broad range of legal developments and resources.
Qualifications and Core Competencies
Education and experience — Associate degree, Paralegal certificate and a minimum of three years of directly related experience.
Customer Service — Enjoys working with people; delivers excellent customer service; understands and identifies customers’ needs and responds quickly and appropriately; ability to interact with staff and users of all backgrounds and types in a pleasant and professional manner.
Teamwork — Form effective work relationships and proactively communicates with colleagues; cooperates and works independently; builds relationships and works collaboratively across and within organizational boundaries to achieve common goals.
Other abilities, skills, and knowledge
• Ability to communicate effectively with all library staff and customers.
• Excellent computer skills.
• Significant experience using Word and Excel.
• Ability to prioritize tasks in order to complete responsibilities in a timely fashion.
• Ability to follow through with projects and instructions.
• Good written and spoken Standard English.
• Good written and spoken Spanish.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Starting salary ranges between $3247.73 – $3,410.12 per month plus excellent benefits. An insurance subsidy of $987 per month may be used toward the library’s cafeteria plan benefits. Cafeteria options include choice of several health plans, dental plan, short-term disability, life and other supplemental insurance plans, and a flexible spending account for medical and family care reimbursement. CalPERS retirement plan includes 6.25% employee contribution, optional 457 deferred compensation plan, employer paid long-term disability, and rapid transit subsidies. 14 paid holidays, vacation accrual first three years is 6.7 hours per month, sick leave accrual 10 hours per month.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit resume and three references to: Coral Henning, email@example.com; Sacramento County Public Law Library, 609 9th Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. Resumes received by January 15, 2018 will be given first consideration.
Legal Administrative Specialist
The United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of California is seeking an experienced Legal Administrative Specialist (Litigation Support) to fill a vacancy in the Criminal Division in our Sacramento office. Responsibilities include (but are not limited to): providing technical advice to litigation teams on legal automation requirements and systems capabilities to facilitate litigation decisions, discovery production, trial preparation and trial presentation; performing tasks such as scanning documents into and organizing, indexing, and controlling them in a database for efficient retrieval through automated means; creating and managing electronic case databases for large complex cases with voluminous discovery and digital evidence; preparing and presenting digital exhibits and visual materials at trial using the most advanced trial presentation programs; and, using and appropriately employing a variety of software packages including database, spreadsheet and word processing applications such as: Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, Trial Director, Relativity, Eclipse, Time Map, Case Map, eScanit.
Applicants who are interested must apply directly to the vacancy announcement on the USAJobs website at the following link https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/485618200. This vacancy closes on 12/22/2017.
The Law Office of Alexandria Goff, PC is looking for a full-time Administrative Assistant/Paralegal to join our growing estate planning firm to assist in the day to day functions, the preparation of trusts, wills and other estate planning documents, and probate matters.
• Perform primary telephone duties with the ability to communicate with clients, other counsel, court clerks, financial entity personnel and various local and government agencies.
• Perform telephone client intake, initial case assessment and document review.
• Prepare, maintain and close client files (both paper & electronic).
• Perform photocopy, collate, scan, file and related functions (both paper & electronic).
• Prepare correspondence with clients, government agencies and draft various legal communication documents.
• Process-review-understand case time billing, make travel arrangements, process reimbursement expenses, maintain office calendar, and other administrative duties, as needed by the attorney.
• Strong computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Word (including mail merge templates), Excel, PDF Software, Legal Calendaring Software and Legal Time Tracking software.
• Drafting various legal documents including but not limited to Judicial Council Forms, Motions, Pleadings, Petitions, Affidavits/Declarations, Court Orders, Discovery, Subpoenas, Agreements and Proof of Service Declarations.
• Knowledge of Judicial Council forms, Local Forms, Local Rules & Legal Calendaring Timelines and Case Management.
• Assist with document reviews for identifying and prioritizing issues for completion.
• Conduct legal research.
• Knowledge of California State/County Court filing requirements and online website resources.
• Self-motivated, able to work independently as needed and work along side the office team.
• Able to lift boxes that weigh up to 20 lbs. and able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
• Able to reach above head.
• Dependable, reliable and punctual.
Job Requirements – To be considered for this position, you will need to meet one of the requirements below:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in any subject, and a minimum of one year paralegal/legal assistant experience supported by attorney letter of reference; or
• An Associate’s Degree in Paralegal/Legal Assistant Studies and a minimum of two years’ office experience.
The Law Office of Alexandria Goff, PC offers a competitive salary in a friendly/casual and interesting work environment and is willing to train the right applicant in our area of law.
Send us your resume in Word and PDF format, cover letter, paralegal certificate or attorney certification (if applicable), most recent MCLE record, and a brief legal writing sample. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Law Office of Alexandria Goff, PC is an equal opportunity employer. Submissions will be accepted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paralegal / Legal Assistant
If you enjoy research, writing, and putting the pieces together to solve legal issues, this is the position for you. Civitas, a Sacramento based legal and consulting firm, is seeking an experienced paralegal / legal assistant to join our growing team. We specialize in establishing stable funding sources for groups of hotels and downtown organizations throughout the United States.
In this position, you will support our team by becoming an expert in improvement district laws. You’ll support our project managers in their endeavors, work closely with clients, and produce documents quickly and accurately.
To be successful in the position, you will need:
• An uncanny ability to read and translate laws into understandable processes and standards;
• Advanced knowledge using Lexis Advance and Microsoft Word, including mail merge templates;
• A passion for writing about legal concepts in a manner that can be understood by attorneys and laypeople alike;
• The ability to professionally communicate via email, phone, and in person with clients, elected officials, and project stakeholders;
• A penchant for being busy and the ability to quickly switch gears and shift priorities; and
• A strong sense of ownership of your work and the ability to follow-through on tasks, even when you are waiting on others to finish with their piece of the puzzle.
A little about us… we are a small, close team of professionals working to make a difference. Our team has been carefully hand-picked to be, without question, the best. We’ve been in the business for more than 20 years, and are constantly revolutionizing the industry. Our work helps clean up and promote business districts throughout the country – we create jobs, improve safety, and make neighborhoods better.
Requirements & Application
To be considered for this position, you will need to meet one of the requirements below:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in paralegal studies and a minimum of one year paralegal experience in the field; or
• A Bachelor’s Degree in any subject, an Associate’s Degree in paralegal studies and, a minimum of one year paralegal experience in the field; or
• A Bachelor’s Degree in any subject, a minimum of two years’ paralegal experience in the field with a written 6450 declaration from an attorney with whom you’ve worked; or
• An Associate’s Degree in Paralegal Studies and a minimum of two years’ paralegal experience in the field.
Preference will be given to candidates with paralegal certificates from ABA-approved programs and/or voluntary designations including RP or CLA. Preference will also be given to candidates with experience in project management, nonprofit corporations, and/or municipal law (assessment districts, open meeting laws and public record laws).
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Benefits include sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance after 30 days and vacation after 90 days, and at least 11 paid holidays per year. Compensation between $19-$23 per hour, DOE.
If all of that sounds good to you, send us your resume, cover letter, paralegal certificate or attorney certification, most recent MCLE record, and a brief legal writing sample. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Civitas is an equal opportunity employer. Please submit via e-mail attention Carson Lambeth at: Clambeth@civitasadvisors.com.